Connecting, empowering end inspiring female Welsh and Wales-based writers.
Unheard Voices is a new Sherman Theatre programme designed to help ensure that unheard voices get heard. Each year Unheard Voices will champion a different group we would like to be heard more on our stages.
In its first year Unheard Voices will connect, inspire and empower female Welsh and Wales-based writers.
What will the year involve?
Unheard Voices is a valuable opportunity for female writers. Participants will have the opportunity to develop their skills through twelve master classes delivered key figures in theatre. They will include:
- Suzanne Bell, Dramaturg, Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester
- Emma Callander, Co-Artistic Director, Theatre Uncut
- Katherine Chandler, Playwright and Sherman Theatre Associate Artist
- Sharon Clark, Playwright, Dramaturg, Producer and Creative Director of Raucous
- Jo Clifford, Playwright
- Deirdre O’Halloran, Literary Manager, Bush Theatre
- Charlotte Josephine, Actor and Writer
- Morgan Lloyd Malcolm, Playwright
- Lucy Morrison, Associate Director, Royal Court Theatre
- Nina Steiger, Senior Dramaturg, National Theatre Programme
Participants will be invited to Sherman Theatre production press nights throughout the year which are a valuable networking opportunity. Participants will also receive a discount on non-alcoholic beverages and food at the Sherman Cafe Bar. At the end of the year, participants will be invited to attend a de-brief session led by Sherman Theatre’s Artistic Director Joe Murphy.
What do we hope participants will gain from the year?
We hope participants will have had the opportunity to learn from expert practitioners, develop their networks in the industry and have benefitted from meeting and engaging with members of the Sherman Theatre team. Once the year has ended we hope participants will feel they have built a platform on which they can further develop their career and ensure that their voice is heard. We also hope that they will feel that Sherman Theatre is their home and that they will have a long lasting relationship with us.
Who is it for?
The programme is for Welsh and Wales-based female and female identifying writers with any level of experience aged 18+. Writers need not have extensive experience of writing for the stage. We especially want to hear from you if you have yet to have work staged or commissioned.
Who will decide who will take part in the programme?
A panel of experts will consider submissions from those who would like to take part in the programme. Places will be offered based on potential. The panel consists of:
- Katherine Chandler – Writer and Sherman Theatre Associate Artist
- Branwen Davies – Writer and Theatre Maker
- Sara Lloyd – Director and Actor
- Suzanne Packer – Actor and Sherman Theatre Associate Artist
- Helen Perry - BBC Writersroom Development Producer
What is the process for applying to be on the programme?
- The panel will consider submissions from female Welsh or Wales-based writers.
- Submissions are now open.
- A submission can either be a ten page extract of work (ideally an example of your writing for the stage) or if you have yet to write any drama it can be a paragraph stating why you think your voice deserves to be heard.
- Submissions will be accepted in either English or Welsh.
- Please email your submission to email@example.com
- Your submission will be presented to the panel anonymously.
- The deadline for submissions is 15 April at 12pm.