An award-winning, coming-of-age story performed in BSL.
Roo is a deaf Punjabi boy from Birmingham, living in a world that wasn’t made for him. Through pain and laughter, Roo narrates the impact of ableism and racism throughout his childhood and adult life, leading him to confront one key question: “Where do I belong?”
A coming of age story about discovering your community and the journey that follows. Come and be immersed in Roo’s world as he navigates across borders and grapples with his sense of identity.
All performances will be in BSL, with spoken English and closed captions.
Winner of Mervyn Stutter’s Spirit of the Fringe Awards 2022
Winner of The Deaf Excellence Award, The Neurodiverse Review Awards
Directed by Tyrone Huggins (Director of Original Production Daniel Bailey)
Instructions to Access Captions
1. Download the free App
On iPhone / iPad – download from the App Store
On Android – download from the Google Play Store
2. Connect to the network
• In Settings, set your device to Airplane mode to avoid interruptions
• Re-enable WiFi and select the Difference Engine network
(available 20 mins before the event begins – if not, speak to a member of staff)
• Password is: engine123 (If this changes check the app Guide)
3. Open the App and select Captions
If you have a different device, or an older version of iOS or Android
• Connect to the Difference Engine WiFi network, as above
• In your browser, type 192.168.0.105 into the address bar – press Enter
• Select Captions
You might want to adjust your brightness down – it will save battery life!
For more info on the Difference Engine go to www.talkingbirds.co.uk/DE