In June 2020 we stated our commitment to increasing diversity and representation at Sherman Theatre through a programme of meaningful action and change. This is an overview of the steps we have taken over the past twelve months and the work ahead. There is much more work to do, this is only a starting point - we will continue to listen and make change.
Our Artistic Work:
- We have continued our commitment to diverse casting.
- Through a range of opportunities and initiatives emerging Black artists have been supported.
- The work of Black artists has and will continue to be an integral part of our artistic programme.
- Our digital platforms have been handed over to a diverse range of artists to help amplify their work.
- Open call outs and wider communication of those call outs has led to greater access to and visibility of opportunities.
- Work to diversify our Board of Trustees has begun.
- To work towards a diverse and representative workforce we have changed our recruitment practices, we recognise that there is a still a way to go to achieve this at Sherman Theatre and more widely across the sector.
- Members of our staff team have undergone diversity training and attended conferences. Further training will be undertaken over the coming months.
- Plans are underway to further diversify our volunteer
Our Community and audiences:
- We have worked with a more representative range of community partners in the city and beyond.
- Over the past year we have further embraced our position as a Theatre of Sanctuary.
- Audience development work will be undertaken as we re-open.
Over the next year, the work above will continue. We are in the process of signing up to the Inc Arts Toolkit to support our understanding and development and to ensure that we embed this commitment to change within our work.