PAID CO-DIRECTOR AND ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OPPORTUNITIES WITH SHERMAN THEATRE'S HEART OF CARDIFF PROJECT
Sherman Theatre is seeking a Co-Director and an Assistant Director to work on the Heart of Cardiff, a series of Audio Theatre Experiences inspired by the diverse communities of Cardiff. It’s a celebration of ordinary humans and the extraordinary things they do, a love letter to our magnificent city and the people who make it what it is.
Sherman Theatre is particularly interested to hear from new and diverse voices.
Sherman Theatre is looking for a Welsh speaking Co-director to work alongside Artistic Director Joe Murphy on the Heart of Cardiff Project.
The Co-Director will collaborate on the whole project, but their chief responsibility will be the script development and direction of 4 of the pieces:
• To develop the scripts of and direct 4 of the ten pieces selected for Heart of Cardiff, a number of which will be Welsh language pieces;
• To work alongside Joe Murphy as Co-Director with an overview and input into the whole project;
• To work with the Assistant Director offering professional support where required;
• To work closely with the Writers, Community Facilitators, and Sherman’s Creative Engagement Manager and Sherman 5 Coordinator to ensure genuine and meaningful community collaboration and co-creation of the pieces;
• Any further duties as required by the Sherman team.
The Co-Director will need to be available for 12 days of rehearsals and recording split across 4 audio pieces between Monday 28th September 2020 and Friday December 10th 2020. They will also need to be available for script development and community engagement from Monday August 24th 2020 to Monday September 28th 2020. It will not be a full-time commitment during these dates and the Sherman is happy for the Co-Director to undertake other projects within this time period subject to fulfilling the requirements of the Heart of Cardiff project.
All-inclusive fee of £1,600 to be paid in instalments during the project.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on 14 August 2020.
• Why you are interested in working on the Heart of Cardiff project.
• Why this is the correct opportunity for your professional development.
• Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role.
Sherman Theatre is committed to providing opportunities for emerging directors from all walks of life to develop their craft, skills and practice, whilst also expanding their industry and community networks.
The Heart of Cardiff project offers an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Director to work alongside the Co-directors in the creation of audio theatre experiences that are inspired by the diverse communities of Cardiff.
The Assistant Director will support the two Co-directors across all 10 of the audio pieces and also work closely with Sherman 5 and the Creative Engagement Department to deliver the community engagement aspects of the project:
• To provide general assistance to the Co-Directors;
• As agreed with the Co-Directors, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the project;
• As agreed with the Co-Directors, to attend preparation meetings (via Zoom) prior to rehearsals;
• To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings;
• To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purpose of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms agreed;
• To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required;
• To contribute to Creative Engagement activities, working closely with the Creative Engagement Manager and Sherman 5 Coordinator to provide meaningful opportunities for the communities within which Sherman Theatre is working;
• Any further duties as required by the Director.
The Assistant Director will need to be available for work across the project from Monday August 24th 2020 to Friday December 10th 2020. However, this will not be a full-time commitment during these dates and the Sherman is happy for the Assistant Director to undertake other projects within this time period subject to fulfilling the requirements of the Heart of Cardiff project.
All-inclusive fee of £1,500 to be paid in instalments during the project.
How to apply
Please send a CV and covering letter (no more than two sides of A4) to email@example.com by midday on 14 August 2020.
• Why you are interested in working on Sherman Theatre’s Heart of Cardiff project.
• What do you hope to gain from this opportunity in terms of your professional development.