Sherman Theatre is delighted to announce a new collaboration with Theatr Iolo’s artist development programme, Platfform, for the next instalment of TAITH. Over the coming months we will be on the look-out for the best emerging writers interested in creating new work for children aged between 10 – 12 and their families. Submissions are now open and will close at midday on 18 July, 2016.
What is TAITH?
TAITH is our new writing initiative that develops and showcases innovative and exciting 10 minute plays in Welsh or English.
The process develops key skills, expands writer networks, workshops ideas, and showcases new work on a professional platform.
What are we looking for?
TAITH is for writers with some experience and at the beginning of their careers who would benefit from mentoring from two of Wales’ leading producing organisations.
Writers must have an interest in creating work for young people and be Welsh or Wales based.
The panel is particularly interested in original, contemporary, bold and exciting plays that are reflective of the wider issues facing 10 – 12 year olds today.
Submissions must be:
• Relevant and relatable for audiences between the ages of 10-12 and their families.
• No more than 10 minutes long.
• Written in Welsh, English or Bilingual.
• Require no more than 3 actors to be performed.
What are the Benefits of TAITH?
Benefits for all writers who submit to TAITH include:
• Written feedback on their work.
• The opportunity to be added to the Sherman writers’ database in order to receive information on relevant opportunities and events.
• An invitation to a writers’ night with The Sherman and Theatr Iolo creative team to discuss their work further.
Benefits for shortlisted writers’ include:
• Opportunities to develop and explore new work through workshops and discussions with young people and industry professionals.
• Intensive workshop period with a recognised practitioner from across the UK.
• Learning alongside peers and developing networks.
Benefits for final three selected writers:
• Further development with a professional director.
• Experience of the rehearsal process with professional actors and director.
• Script in hand reading with professional actors in front of an audience of young people and industry professionals.
• Ongoing communication and mentorship from the collaborating organisations.
• Complimentary tickets to Sherman and Theatr Iolo productions for the duration of the programme.
• Advice on how to further develop their 10 minute plays.
The Sherman has a long standing commitment to producing high quality theatre for children and their families. Building on recent successes with The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Arabian Nights the Sherman will produce a new family show this summer, The Hunting of the Snark. The Sherman has recently developed a creative relationship with Theatr Iolo on Christmas productions for under 7s such as 2015’s The Princess and The Pea/ Y Dywysoges a’r Bysen Fechan Fach. Theatr Iolo is an award-winning theatre company that has been creating exciting, innovative and original theatre for children, young people and their grown-ups for over 25 years. The Platfform programme is designed to discover the next generation of writers, directors and theatre-makers interested in creating theatre for this audience. This collaboration allows the Sherman and Theatr Iolo to join forces in finding and supporting writers keen to explore the world of writing for young audiences, with full support from both organisations and their pool of experienced mentors.
Send your submission as PDF and saved as your name and script title, to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on 18 July, 2016.
Submissions will be read by our script reading panel and a shortlist of up to 12 writers will be selected. The final three writers will be selected by Sherman Theatre and Theatr Iolo creative teams.
If you have any questions or feel you may need support to complete the submission process please get in touch: Gethin Evans
Good luck, we can't wait to read your work!