The JMK Trust in partnership with the Sherman Theatre is offering an Assistant Director Bursary to a participant of the JMK & Sherman Directors’ Group. This arts scholarship, funded by The Carne Trust, will provide a learning and training opportunity for a talented emerging director, based in the Cardiff area who has demonstrated a commitment to directing and a passion for theatre making.
We are looking for an Assistant Director for Rachel O’Riordan’s upcoming autumn production of The Cherry Orchard, a reimagining by Gary Owen.
As Assistant Director, your duties will be:
• To provide general assistance to the Director;
• As agreed with the Director, to carry out any research that will inform and benefit the production;
• As agreed with the Director, to attend preparation meetings prior to rehearsals;
• To observe rehearsals and have input in discussions and production meetings;
• To assist the company in documenting the rehearsal process for the purpose of marketing, archiving and evaluating the project through blogs, social media and other forms agreed;
• To observe and assist the Director in the production week as required;
• To input into supporting engagement activities by mutual agreement with the Director and Communities and engagement department;
• To attend and participate in post-show discussions by mutual agreement with the Director;
• To support the company whilst the play in in performance as agreed with the Director and Stage Manager, including attending and noting the production;
• Any further duties as required by the Director.
The bursary recipient will demonstrate a commitment to living and making theatre in Wales and will also be or become a participant of the JMK Sherman Directors’ Group. As part of the bursary, the recipient will also be responsible for working with the JMK Artistic Coordinator and Sherman Theatre to support and facilitate the Director’s group.
The Assistant Director will need to be available for:
11 September – 17 October, 2017 inclusive.
Final Performance: 28 October, 2017.
The Carne Bursary is an all-inclusive fee of £2,350.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a CV and short covering letter (no more than one side of A4) to firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on 21 July, 2017. Interviews will take place 3 August, 2017.
• Why you are interested in working with Rachel O’Riordan
• Why you are interested in working at the Sherman Theatre
• Why you are interested in working on a reimagining of a classic text
• How this bursary opportunity and involvement in the JMK Directors’ group will contribute to your professional development
• Your relevant experience and what you can bring to the role
If you have any questions please contact email@example.com